What a difference a year makes. As we look towards the coming year, Netflix has revealed Malaysian viewers’ habits on the streaming channel. Thanks to the streaming service, audiences learned how to launder money (Ozark) and profile serial killers (Mindhunter).
We also learned that life is better with super pigs (Okja) and just as crazy without Pablo (Narcos). And once again, that Eleven is not to be messed with (Stranger Things). The only thing we didn’t discover… the identity of the black hood (Riverdale)
Let’s look at what the year of 2017 brought us:
- Malaysia came up tops with the highest percentage of Binge Racers in Asia who sped through an entire season within 24 hours of its release!
- Stranger Things 2 was the most Binge Raced show in Malaysia for the year.
- A member in Malaysia watched Kung Fu Panda 2 movie 137 times in 2017.
- Netflix members around the world watched more than 140 million hours of TV shows, movies, documentaries and more per day(that’s a little more one billion hours per week in case you were wondering).
- Guess what, the most popular1 streaming day in Malaysia is Monday, September 4. Now we know what you did with the additional public holiday for Malaysia winning the SEA Games!
2017 also brought with it an amazing range of new features that allow a unique and personalised viewing experience:
- Netflix’s 5-star rating system was introduced
- Thumbs-up or thumbs-down ratings feature that was brought in
- Power to control decisions and outcomes of our favourite characters through interactive storytelling in Puss in Book: Trapped in an Epic Taleand Buddy Thunderstruck: The Maybe Pile
- High-quality entertainment in viewing technology such as 4K, HDR, Dolby Atmos that help create a superior viewing experience
And, contrary to popular belief, consumers are discovering a love for TV all over again as more than 56% of people in Malaysia watch on connected TV devices and use between three and five different internet-connected devices for their bingeing needs.
There’s much to say about what we watched, but how we watched was also intriguing. Though bingeing was standard in 2017, not all series were enjoyed in the same way – there were those we cheated on, and those that brought us together with some popcorn and pyjama nights..
We couldn’t resist the thrill of a thrill and shamelessly watched ahead of our significant others on 13 Reasons Why, Orange is the New Black (Don’t tell Crazy Eyes) and Narcos (Oh, the love for Pablo)
- 13 Reasons Why
- Orange is the New Black
- Black Mirror
- Marvel’s The Defenders
- Star Trek Discovery
- Better Call Saul
- Marvel’s Iron Fist
The Shows That Brought Us Together in 20173
Whether for the adventure, Chief Hopper or bromance (#DadSteve), Netflix members ranked Stranger Things as the top show to watch together as a family. Nostalgia also scored top points for family watching via Star Trek: Discovery, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life and Fuller House.
- Stranger Things
- 13 Reasons Why
- Star Trek Discovery
- A Series Of Unfortunate Events
- Chef’s Table
- Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life
- Fuller House
- Anne with an E
- The Good Place
1 Popularity based on the average daily viewing hours per member between November 1, 2016 and November 1, 2017
2Based on more than 60,000 survey responses from Netflix members between October 24-30, 2017. The sample is representative of an adult population who watch TV shows as a couple in 32 countries. The survey included new show or new season launches of Netflix originals from November 1, 2016 – November 1, 2017 only.
3 Based on more than 60,000 survey responses from Netflix members between October 24-30, 2017. The sample is representative of an adult population who watch TV shows with their family in 32 countries. The survey included new show or new season launches of Netflix originals from November 1, 2016 – November 1, 2017 only.